2012년 9월 24일 월요일

In class essay #1


           When I was 12 years old, I went to Canada for one year. My parents had a hard time persuading me to go. Unlike now, I was really shy and afraid of new environments. If I go there, I had to stay with a new family, and play with new friends. I really didn’t want to go. However, I and my parents talked a lot, and I finally decided to go. I can’t remember what it exactly was but my parents promised to do something for me if I went.

           Surprisingly, it wasn’t that hard to adapt to new environment. Even though, culture and language was different, and I was very shy, neighbors, and friends around me were very nice, and tried to include me in.

           One day, there was a speech contest in the school. As I told earlier I was extremely shy than anyone can ever imagine. So, I wasn’t thinking a bit about participating but one of my classmates told others that it would be nice for me. Everyone wanted me to tell them about Korean traditions, something new and cool which they would like. I tried to tell them, I was never on stage before, I am afraid of being in front of so many people, and I would probably screw up. But they weren’t listening to me. They were all excited about the idea. With the promise of my friends, they would help, I applied.

           I practiced really hard, and my friends did help. I chose to introduce Tae-kwon-do. I thought it was a really cool martial art that represents Korea. After I wrote the first draft of my speech, every friend came to me and helped. They suggested ideas about the order and the vocabularies to put in, and corrected some grammar mistakes. Just a day before the contest, I read my speech again and again to memorize and talk in the best tone.

           The day had come. Waiting for my turn to arrive, one minute felt like one hour. My heart was pounding so hard and my head full of a wish that I wanted to give up now. But I remembered all my efforts, and friends’ help. I started to keep murmuring “I can do it, this is nothing special.”

           Finally my turn came. I went up to the stage and with my legs shivering so violently I somehow managed to stand behind the podium. Remembering from now, it was as thrilling as bungee jumping. My brain went blank when I looked at the audience. So nervous, I had a few big breaths, looked at my friends slowly. And slowly I opened my mouth. I couldn’t remember how I did. But I realized I somehow ended my speech and came back to my seat hearing everyone applauding.

           Well, I didn’t get any prize unfortunately. However, my friends had a surprise party for me. It was the best party ever. If there were no friends at that particular time, there would be no me right now. Thanks to them, here I am who can talk and even dance in front of so many people.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기